Here is some information for you regarding the schedule of Saturday’s JO Qualifier events.
1. EVENTS THAT *WILL NOT* BE FENCED on Saturday, November 23 due to insufficient pre-registration numbers include:
–All Women’s Events
–Cadet Men’s Foil
Those individuals registered for the above events have pre-Qualified to the JO Championships and have received an e-mail alerting them to this status. This means the above events will not be fenced. Individuals who registered for them should not show up UNLESS they are also registered for an event that WILL be fenced. Auto-Qualified individuals in this category will receive a paper check mailed to them with a refund of their fees (minus AskFRED charges if applicable).
2. The following events WILL be fenced on Saturday, November 23, in the following order:
Junior Men’s Sabre – 9:00 AM
Cadet Men’s Sabre – 9:30 AM
Junior Men’s Foil – 10:00 AM
Junior Men’s Epee – 10:30 AM
Cadet Men’s Epee – 12:00 PM*
(*…Or whenever the Junior fencers registered for this event are mutually ready after the Junior Event.)
3. IMPORTANT: Events with six (6) or fewer registrants WILL NOT be fenced to Direct Elimination. Pool results will determine winners and Qualifier slots earned. [So, aim to fence well in your pools! (Not that anyone wouldn't.)]
4. The building opens at 8:30am. Please show up ON TIME for your event. This means attempt to get there 30 minutes to 1 hour before your scheduled Event Time. Times denote CLOSE OF REGISTRATION. Fencers will not be allowed to complete Check-In after their Event’s Close of Registration.
(Example: If your event is at 9am, be there around 8:30. It will take a few minutes to process you through Check-In, Armory Inspection, and send you on your way to warm-up.)
5. ALSO: If you have not paid by now, you will need to pay at the door. Fees at the door are $30 PER EVENT, and a one-time Registration Fee of $10. Please also bring a completed Waiver signed by your parent or guardian (attached to this message). You will not be permitted to fence without this signed waiver.
6. EVEN MORE IMPORTANT:
IF YOU DECIDE YOU NEED TO WITHDRAW: PLEASE LET US KNOW **IMMEDIATELY**. PLEASE REFER TO THE ORIGINAL PRE-REGISTRATION CONFIRMATION E-MAIL FOR A LINK TO UN-REGISTER YOURSELF FROM THE EVENT, *OR*, CONTACT THE DIVISION CHAIR AT SUSAN.HAZEL@GMAIL.COM WITH A WRITTEN REQUEST TO WITHDRAW.
7. Each Event fenced will have trophies awarded to First, Second, and Third place. If competitors are tied for Third Place, there will be a fence-off for third. Otherwise, if there are no tied Results, there will not be a fence-off for third. (So make every touch and defense count.)
8. Each event scheduled to be fenced will have three (3) Qualifier slots available for award. If a fencer already has a Championships Qualification spot via another same-weapon event (or earns one if age-eligible via Junior to Cadet ‘trickle-down’, see below for more info), that event will have the option of not being fenced at the discretion of the Tournament Organizer and with the input of affected fencers present.
9. Fencers who are registered for Junior Qualifier events, and who are also age-eligible for Cadet, will further auto-qualify for the Cadet Championship if they earn a qualification slot in the Junior event.
10. As such, if such a competitor is also registered for the Cadet event:
–Those who are already Cadet-qualified will be skipped in the determination of # of Qualifiers for the event fenced, and those who had not previously-earned spots will be awarded slots according to their results in the Cadet event fenced.
–Those who have Qualified in Junior for Cadet Championships (trickle-down) will be given the option to either a) Stay and fence the Cadet Qualifier event, or b) receive a refund for that event after they qualify.
11. Withdrawal deadline for refund (minus $10 registration fee) is Wednesday, November 20. No refunds will be issued after this date (except for Auto-Qualifiers due to pre-registrations).**
12. Directions to Polo Road Park can be mapped from the “Map to 730 Polo Road Columbia SC 29223″ link on each page of the AskFRED listing.
13. Please also show up with *working* gear appropriate to your weapon the fencing strip. This is more for parents and coaches, but includes:
–Two (2) body cords;
–Two (2) head cords;
–Working lame (Foil and Sabre);
–Foil mask with conductive bib;
–Glove without holes;
–Sabre glove with appropriate conductivity (See Flyer, Athlete Handbook, or Official Rules manuals available at http://www.usfencing.org/page/
–Socks that cover the leg up to the knee (with knickers overlap),
– a plastron (underarm protector),
– weight-tested epees with tip screws and appropriate wiring (see this page for pictures and guidelines: http://www.fencingofficials.
–and a jacket and mask appropriate to your weapon (sabre mask can’t be used for foil, foil mask can’t be used for sabre, epee mask can’t be used for foil, etc.
14. Masks, Lames, Head Cords and Body Cords will require inspection marks at the Armory Desk. Any masks that do not pass the Punch Test or are otherwise defective or judged to be unsafe will be marked with “FAIL” and will not be permitted for use.
15. The following fencers have automatically Qualified via pre-registration (3 or fewer fencers to an event):
ALL WOMEN’S EVENTS (JUNIOR AND CADET)
JUNIOR WOMEN’S EPEE
CADET WOMENS EPEE
CADET MEN’S FOIL
16. Automatic Qualifiers from the above will be submitted with the final Tournament results.
Congratulations to those who have Qualified for the Junior Olympic Championships! Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Good luck to those who are competing on Saturday!
Division Chair, South Carolina Division USA Fencing